Climate Action Middlesbrough
What is Climate Action Middlesbrough?
Climate Action Middlesbrough (CAM) is a new programme which aims to facilitate reductions in Middlesbrough’s carbon footprint and encourage a change towards more sustainable lifestyles. Actes are working with a range of organisations and businesses, such as Middlesbrough Environment City (programme Lead), Middlesbrough Council, LINX Youth Project, Tees Valley Wildlife Trust, Thirteen Group and various education organisations. Climate Action Middlesbrough programme is divided into two strands.
- Sustained changes in individual, community and organisational behaviours in relation to climate change.
- Increased community action across the areas of sustainable food, transport, domestic energy, waste and the natural environment.
Over the course of the programme, CAM will engage the wider community through intergeneration activities with young people are at the forefront of tackling climate change.
Our Aims and objectives
- To facilitate reductions in Middlesbrough’s carbon footprint.
- To create a well-informed social movement supportive of tackling the climate crisis, through the combination of education, awareness-raising, increased involvement and connectedness and delivery of practical projects.
- To create a community – led movement for social change towards a sustainable environment.
- To enable communities to have a voice on addressing the changing climate.
Middlesbrough’s Green Strategy
- The council is setting out an ambitious 10-year vision to develop a Green agenda to rise to the challenge of climate change and support and improve biodiversity within Middlesbrough.
- The green strategy will include measures like biodiversity, energy reduction, increasing recycling rates, addressing health inequalities, green transport options, and food security. It's based on the ten One Planet Living principles.
- It sets a programme to meet Government targets for Greenhouse gas emissions and make the town more climate resilient to make sure we are prepared and can adapt to changes in climate and to minimise the environmental impact of council services in future.
There are three broader aims to make Middlesbrough a more sustainable town and meet the obligations:
- To make Middlesbrough Council net carbon neutral by 2029
- To ensure Middlesbrough as a town is net carbon neutral by 2039.
- Middlesbrough to be a lead authority on Environmental issues.